Aimwell is among the oldest Presbyterian churches in the state. The earliest obtainable record of our church's origin appears to be the year 1790. Services were held in the home of John and Ann Rosborough at Cedar Creek until Francis Robinson gave the land for the first Aimwell Church in 1798. A grass fire destroyed this church. A log church was then used until 1833 when Edward Gendron Palmer of Valencia gave the land where Aimwell Cemetery is still located, and a frame church was placed on the land. The congregation numbered about 30.
Rev. C.W. Boggs was pastor when the church was dedicated November 18, 1859 (as inscribed on the baptismal bowl in the Relic Room).
The present church, built in 1893, was originally a white frame building. It is the fourth building to serve the congregation. In 1947 the Fellowship Hall was built. The church was veneered and a vestibule was added in 1951. A new manse was built in 1956 (which now serves as church offices and additional classrooms), and in 1963 a new Educational Hall was built and connects the sanctuary and Fellowship Hall.
In 1982 the congregation voted to become a member of the Palmetto Presbytery; therefore, we are under the watch-care of the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA).
When Aimwell started in 1790,
George Washington was President of the United States.
John Adams was Vice President.
Philadelphia was the temporary capital of the United States while Washington, D.C. was being built.
The first United States Supreme Court session was held.
The largest American city was Philadelphia, with 42,000 persons, followed by New York (33,000), Boston (18,000), Charleston (16,000), and Baltimore (13,000).